Unlocking the Secrets: Expert Advice from a Leading Model on Breaking into the Industry, Skincare, and Styling Tips
We asked an established model from BMA Models on how to break into the modelling industry, tips on skincare and styling…
- What are the key steps or strategies to break into the modelling industry? Any aspiring model should endeavour to learn as much as possible about the industry, e.g. what agencies are looking for example, minimum height required and age restrictions.
- Could you provide insights into the types of modelling opportunities available and how to identify the best fit for an aspiring model? There are many types of modelling, catwalk, commercial modelling, photographic, hand, legs, feet modelling, and much more. And anyone wanting to become a model must endeavour to learn about the requirements for any type of modelling, to understand which sector would be suitable.
- What are the essential skills or attributes that agencies and clients look for when selecting models? Any agency will have their own specific requirements. The aspiring model must study each agency to understand those requirements. That means looking through the agency’s board to understand the models they are representing, their height and look for example. So if the agency has all models over 5’8” and the the aspiring model is shorter , it would not be worth approaching them. The sensible thing to do would be to find an agency who has shorter models on their books.
- How important is it for aspiring models to build a strong portfolio, and what elements should be included in it? The best thing to do is not spend too much money on photographs, the best thing to do is ask a professional photographer to take some really good poloroids and then send these to the agencies. There is no point in wasting money on a portfolio. Only when the aspiring model is accepted is it worth spending money on a portfolio, and then the agency will point the aspiring model in the right direction.
- Are there any specific guidelines or recommendations for maintaining healthy and radiant skin as a model? Plenty of water! No greasy food! Sun block! Healthy skin comes from inside, so a healthy diet is a necessity to maintain a healthy skin.
- What skincare routine or products do you suggest for models to keep their skin in optimal condition? I wouldn’t suggest certain products, each model is an individual with an individual skin, so the best thing to do is go into a store and ask the girls behind the cosmetic counters to make considerations according to age and type of skin and to provide the best creams and routines.
- Are there any particular styling tips or trends that aspiring models should be aware of to enhance their marketability? Keep up with fashion, it is vital to keep up with trends, looking at magazines can give a real insight for anything trending.
- How can aspiring models stay up to date with the latest fashion and industry trends? Definitely magazines and fashion houses.
- Are there any specific diet or exercise recommendations for models to maintain a fit and toned physique? Exercise! Maintaining a perfect weight is important. That doesn’t mean working out all the time in the gym, you must have a healthy diet, plenty of water and lots of healthy exercise, which could mean fast walking for example.
- Can you share any personal experiences or anecdotes that highlight the challenges and rewards of working in the modelling industry? The modelling industry is challenging but rewarding. There is a lot of competition and you have to be the most professional and the best at what you do. Give it your all on a shoot, you are your own best marketing tool when you are on set, if you do your job well, are polite and professional, pleasant to be with, you will called back time and time again. And that means making a success of your chosen career, the best reward ever.